This is a Yellow Fin Tuna Curry Dish that I tried last week according to the recipe that is on this video. Usually I am not a great fan of putting fish into a curry. But this worked out great. The Recipe is below. ENJOY
KERALA FISH CURRY RECIPE
Kerala style fish curry made with Kodampuli – Malabar Tamarind and Sardines (Mathi Meen). Spicy fish curry made with coconut milk. Recipe with step by step pictures.
Author: Kannamma – Suguna Vinodh
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- ½ inch piece ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 10 Indian small onions (shallots)
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder (use more for a spicy curry)
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 pieces kodampuli, malabar tamarind
- 1 cup coconut milk (lite milk)
- 8-9 pieces of Sardine / Mathi Meen
- Heat coconut oil in a pan (preferably an earthen pot) and add in the mustard seeds, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Crush the ginger and garlic in a mortar and pestle. Add it to the pan along with chopped Indian shallots (Indian small onions) and slit green chillies. Add in the salt.
- Saute till the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- In the mean time, make a paste of turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Add few tablespoons of water and make a thick paste.
- Add the paste to the curry and saute well for 3-4 minutes until the masala paste is completely cooked.
- Once the paste is well cooked, add in half a cup of water.
- Soak the Kodampuli in a cup of water for 5 minutes.Add in the kodampuli along with the water used. Close the pan with a lid and let it simmer for five minutes. Add in a cup of second pressed coconut milk.
- Also add in the fish to the pan.
- Close the pan with a lid and let the curry simmer for 6 minutes. Sardines cook very fast.
- Remove the curry from heat and allow the curry to rest for at-least a couple of hours so the flavors mature. It tastes better the next day.
- Serve with rice.