Nasi Goreng is just an exotic name for Fried Rice…so we hear! But it is amazing how the flavor is different for other Fried Rice. We love the fact that it can easily be made vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Traditionally, they do add Shrimp Paste to the dish but at my request Chef Sudabo showed me how it can so easily be transformed into a vegetarian dish. Thanks again Chef for allowing us into your kitchen!
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Oil -2 tbsp
Butter – 2 tbsp
Garlic – 2 tbsp, minced
Chicken – 2 thighs, cut to strips (optional)
Eggs- 1. beaten
Rice – 1 cup raw rice cooked
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper Powder – to taste
Sweet Indonesian Sauce/Kecap Manis – 3 tsp or as needed
Shredded Cabbage- 1/2 cup, packed
Green Beans – 1/2 cup, cut diagonally
Carrots – 1/4 cup, shredded
Bell Pepper /Capsicum – 1/4 of Bell Pepper
Firm Tofu – 1/4 cup, cubed -optional
Sambal – to taste
1. Prep all the ingredients and keep aside.
2. In a wok-style pan, heat the Oil and add in the Butter and allow it to melt.
3. While it is still melting, add in the minced Garlic.
4. Add in the Chicken and cook till the Chicken Strips are white in color.
5. Add in the beaten Egg. Stir and cook.
6. Add in cooked and cold Rice. Mix and allow the Rice to heat up.
7. Season with Salt and Black Pepper.
8. Add in Kecap Manis/Sweet Indonesian Soy Sauce, and mix till there is no white Rice to be seen.
9. Add in the Vegetables and Tofu and mix well till everything is incorporated well.
10. Add in Homemade Sambal and give it one final mix.
11. Remove from flame and plate as desired.
12. In a small skillet, heat a tsp of Oil.
13. Break an Egg and cook as you would a fried egg.
14. Once done, season with Salt and Red Chilli Powder.
15. Plate on the Nasi Goreng and serve.
1. Substitute Soy Sauce + Sugar for Sweet Indonesian Soy Sauce.
2. Leave out the chicken if you are a vegetarian.
3. Leave out the Eggs if you do not eat Eggs.
4. Substitute Chicken with Pork, Shrimps or any other kinds of meat.
Check out the ShowMeTheCurry Channel: https://www.youtube.com/showmethecurry
Video Rating: / 5
Watching this video might skew your perception of Old Chang Kee’s Curry Times vegetarian menu. If you think you have a different opinion of it, spill it out in the comments below.
This was at Novena Square Velocity.
I know I won’t be coming back here.
Music by Mounika https://soundcloud.com/mounika-beat
Shot using Sony RX100 iv S log 2 (pp7)
Support me by downloading my games; they are free to play:
Video Rating: / 5